Saturday, May 29, 2010

Dork

Did anyone have dorky hobbies as a kid like stamp collecting?
I certainly did not. Nope. I was not a fanatic about checking the mail in hopes of exotic postcards. I did not pester the post-office ladies for free stamps. I did not spend hours of my life soaking stamps to get them off envelopes - only to see them blow away in the wind. Nor did I rifle through boxes and boxes looking for huckleberry stamp to match my set. I did not learn what countries actually called themselves outside of my English-centric geography class so I could figure out what the heck Magyar was. And I definitely did not have them meticulously organized in huge books.
Nah-uh.

Okay maybe.

Nerdy associations aside, let's look at stamps objectively. What are they but tiny little art exhibitions that you get to attach to letters and send to your friends/family/government agencies?
Some of my favorites were British stamps. Large, perfectly square, and with the little embossed queen's head in the corner.
So when I saw these London 2012 stamps, I had the urge to dig out my collection again.

No comments: