Monday, March 15, 2010

you got your ball you got your chain

Mondays are my favorite day of the week. The one day where I can grab a coffee after class, talk to a friend about whatever the hell is on my mind, read a graphic novel on the bus, spend a couple hours cooking / baking... and still have time to get a bit of homeworking done.

The graphic novel of this week: Aya by Marguerite Abouet and Clement Oubrerie. Originally in french, but it was hard enough to find in english... so I can't pretend I'm practicing french while I simultaneously get my bande-dessineé fix.


I love it. From my limited experience, it seems typical of modern french comics. Not the solid lines of Tintin, but a looser, flowing style that is nonetheless very controlled and full of detail. Any recommendations on what I should read next? Most of my success with graphic novels have been things I've stumbled on by chance, but I'd love to hear what other people enjoy reading.

Other Monday amusements include mini walnut soda breads, as Saint Patty's day isn't so far away. I have ambitious plans for a guinness stout ginger cake as well. Pretty excited.

Here's the soda breads:


I think if I do make them again, I'm going to load them with dried fruit. I have a terrible sweet tooth that cannot be ignored.

Does anyone else have Saint Patrick's day plans?

No comments: